Saturday, March 7, 2009

Air conditioning; yes or no?

Summer is coming, fast, and the temperature is once again climbing into the mid 30's.
My first year here (Thailand, Ratchaburi) I had an air con hotel room (yes, a year in a hotel/long story) and worked in an air con office at an American toy factory. As a result; for the first year, I never acclimated and was always hot and less than completely comfortable. After I quit the factory (another long story) I avoided air con and to this day I don't have it. The school I taught at for 5 years didn't have air con either; so now, even in our home, we don't have it. I am now and have been for years happy as hell to just have a fan and almost never feel "too hot". I complain less about the heat than my Thai wife does, which is a good laugh for both of us (I can also eat the hottest foods that she cannot touch). She claims I'm becoming Thai and she's becoming a farang, LOL. We do have a laugh. The only air con we use is in the car, that's just common sense. So, my counsel is to avoid air con and you'll enjoy your stay here no matter how hot it gets. My friend Andy lives in Nong Bua Lamphu (Isaan) and didn't put air con in his house either and the word is; he's a poor farang, LOL. I wonder if that's the opinion in my village as well? We're one of the only houses without it, LOL.

No comments: